Epic Climbs of the Western Alps
Ride Iconic Italian-French Passes and the Italian Riviera
You will ride from Turin to the Alps between France and Italy and down to the fascinating coastline of Liguria. Those climbs have been featured on the Giro d’Italia and Tour de France. On the final stage, we ride to the Ligurian Sea.
- Custom dates for groups of six or more.
- Duration: 7-days
- Ride Type: Road
- Difficulty: Athletic (3 of 3)
- Average Daily Mileage: 40-65
- Price: $3,695+
Piedmont is a region in the northwest corner of Italy that borders France and Switzerland. Nearly half of Piedmont can be described as mountainous, while most of the remainder is considered hilly. Its terrain is higher and perhaps more challenging than the description, “the foot of the mountains,” as the literal translation of its name, might suggest.
Its many mountain passes over the Alps make it a hidden gem for cyclists. Crossing over those passes, we will find ourselves in France to ride some iconic Tour de France passes, such as Galibier and Izoard. We will make it back into Italy via Col dell’Agnello (one of the toughest climbs in all of the Alps).
You will get to experience France and Italy in a single journey, marveling spectacular alpine views every day. We will ride from the elegant capital city of Turin, all the way to the turquoise shores of the Ligurian Sea. The riding is not without challenges but with daily distances generally between only 50 and 60 miles, it should challenge riders just enough to experience mountain riding in a way that will become a positive milestone in their riding careers.
When considering a cycling destination, the mountains of the Dolomites might come to mind before the Western (French-Italian) Alps, however the roads in this area have made – or broken – cycling legends for over a century. If you love the mountains, there is hardly a trip more rewarding than this itinerary anywhere in the world.
DAY 1 – Turin – 18 miles – Hilly
DAY 2 – Bardonecchia – 60/31 miles – Mountains
DAY 3 – Galibier – Briançon – 45 miles – Mountains
DAY 4 – Izoard – Agnello – 52/27 miles – Mountains
DAY 5 – Sampeyre – Cuneo – 51/35 miles – Mountains
DAY 6 – Finale Ligure – 59 mls – Hilly (one long climb)
DAY 7 – Transfer to Turin
- Many cols ridden on Tour de France and Giro: Colle delle Finestre, Col du Galibier, Col de l’Izoard, Colle dell’Agnello
- Wildest side of the Alps up and down the valleys of the Cuneo Province
- Turin, Bardonecchia, and Sestriere, the Olympic mountains of the 2006 Winter Olympic Games in Turin
- Coastal cycling with views of the turquoise waters of the Ligurian Sea
- Sampling of Alpine specialties, some of the region’s best wines and artisanal chocolate
- Enjoy the Italian Riviera and its golden beaches
- Stunning views of the “lesser-known” part of the Alps
- Discover the first capital of Italy, Torino, and its royal past
- Bike rental Bianchi Intenso Ultegra/105
- Two professional tour guides throughout the program
- All accommodations in 4-star hotels except for one 3 and one 5 star
- All breakfasts, four lunches, and six dinners
- Wine and beer with dinner
- Support vehicle during the tour and luggage transfer
- Shuttle at the beginning and at the end of the tour
- All activities mentioned in the day-by-day description
- Commemorative Cycling Jersey Made in Italy.
I cannot say thank you enough for making our family trip in the Italian and French Alps and the Ligurian Sea possible. Every day was special and challenging. Magnificence and grand beauty each and every day.
– Leslie C