Spanish Peaks & Great Sand Dunes
Spanish Peaks & Great Sand Dunes
- May 22 – 28
- August 21 – 27
- Duration: 7-Days Cycling / 7-nights lodging
- Ride Type: Road
- Difficulty: Intermediate / Intermediate +
- Average Daily Mileage: 50 – 101
- Price: $2,950
The Spanish Peaks of south central Colorado are among the most important landmarks in the southwestern United States, guiding Native American tribes, trappers, and American settlers. The Ute and other Indian tribes held the Peaks in religious awe and named the mountains Wahatoya, meaning “Breasts of the Earth.” Lizard Head Cycling’s Spanish Peaks and Great Sand Dunes National Park, one of our best Colorado Bicycle Tours, explores this remote region rich in biological diversity, history and scenic beauty.
Colorado is a land of contrasts with no bigger disparity then the transition from prairie to alpine environment. The eastern third of Colorado is the western edge of the Great Plains. As one heads west from Kansas, the landscape changes dramatically and seemingly out of nowhere, the Colorado Rockies rise in awe thousands of feet above the landscape. If you have never seen this, your jaw may scrape the pavement as this view appears before you.” – Michael Seeberg, author of Road Biking Colorado
All cities & towns listed are in Colorado.
DAY 1 – Florissant to Canon City
DAY 2 – Florence to Colorado City
DAY 3 – Trinidad to La Veta
DAY 4 – La Veta to Great Sand Dunes National Park
DAY 5 – Moffat to Gunnison
DAY 6 – Gunnison to Creede – The Cannibal Classic!
DAY 7 – Creede to Pagosa Springs or Durango
- Colorado Springs – home to USA Cycling
- Biological diversity
- Great Sand Dunes National Park
- Skyline Drive’s ridge-top traverse
- Spectacular views of the Wet Mountains and Sangre De Christos
- 13 mile descent through the Huckleberry Hills
- BBQ at Obie’s Fillin’ Station
- The Highway of the Legends Scenic Byway
- Earn your KOM on Chucura Pass
- Highway 114 across the Continental Divide
- Slumgullion Pass – one of the steepest paved mountain passes in CO
- Rio Grande Watershed – largest wilderness area in Colorado
- Historic downtown Durango
- Descent from Wolf Creek to Pagosa Pass
- Hot springs!
- 7-nights of lodging (Sunday through Saturday)
- 7-days of cycling
- 6-days of meals
- Guide service
- Entrance fees
- Energy food, liquid refreshments
- Shuttles & mechanical support
Spanish Peaks was quite a humbling adventure. That said, it was a fascinating conquest and I am sure that your operation’s attentiveness was key to our overall successful travel over the RIDICULOUSLY LONG AND HIGH mountains of Colorado! I look forward to the next, adventure.
It is about a week we are back home from a fantastic trip to Colorado. We had the best time ever and I am pretty sure I want to come back to North America to ride my bike again. We were lucky to have a great weather day by day, the itinerary was perfectly set up, we enjoyed all kind of landscapes, we had a nice bunch of cyclists and there was always a warm and friendly atmosphere in the group and with the guides. We took home a huge number of beautiful pictures but those most memorable are written deeply into our memories. This trip exceeded my best expectations and my thanks go to all of you organizers.