Sardinia Coast to Coast
The Magical Mediterranean Island
A paradise in the heart of the Mediterranean.
“Life in Sardinia is probably the best a man can wish: twenty-four-thousand kilometers of forests, countryside, shores immersed in a miraculous sea, this corresponds to what I would suggest God to give us as Paradise.” - Fabrizio De Andrè - Italian singer and songwriter
- May 16 – 24
- September 26 – October 4
- Duration: 9-days
- Ride Type: Road
- Difficulty: Athletic (3 of 3)
- Price: $4,695
Sardinia is an other-worldly island in the center of Mediterranean Sea. For centuries it has remained one of the most isolated areas in all of Europe, retaining many of its ancient and even Pre-Roman customs. A clear testament to this is that the Sardinian language is universally recognized as the closest living relative to Ancient Latin.
But despite its isolation, Sardinia is by no means small, it’s actually the second largest island in the Mediterranean. All the most famous travelers who have explored Sardinia have described it as a land that seems more like a continent in its own right, given the diverse variety of landscapes in each region and the many smaller satellite islands that surround it.
Today Sardinia is famous for its wonderful beaches and turquoise sea yet there is much more to discover. The island has a coast of about 1,180 miles, but most of the island is actually hilly and wild, even along the coast, and has a central mountain range with many road passes at about 1,000 meters asl (3,280 ft). It’s a terrain of unhinged riding and the last edition of Sardinia’s Pro-cycling race, Giro di Sardegna, was won by Sagan!
The island has a primeval and unique history, with the particular emergence of a megalithic culture known as the Nuragic Civilization that endured every period from the bronze age up to the Roman invasion. Nowadays it is possible to see about 7000 bronze age towers, Nuraghe, that dot the landscape of the island as well as temples devoted to water rituals and megalithic tombs. Some of them are still massive and really worth a visit.
DAY 1 – Alghero – 25 mls – Rolling
DAY 2 – Alghero to Tresnuraghes – 40 mls – Hilly
DAY 3 – Tresnuraghes – Cabras – 56 mls – Hilly
DAY 4 – Cabras – Artizo – 47 mls – Mountains
DAY 5 – Artizo – Gennargentu – Olina – 59 mls – Mountains
DAY 6 – Tiscali – No riding / optional hike
DAY 7 – Oliena – Santa Maria Navarrese – 47 mls – Mountains
DAY 8 – Santa Maria Navarrese – Selvaggio Blu – Boat ride
DAY 9 – Transfer to Cagliari
- The coral coast and Capo Caccia Bay
- Alghero old town and Marina
- Ride the fantastic coastal road from Alghero to Bosa
- Bosa, the medieval town along the river
- Excellent wine and seafood
- Cabras lagoon, the ruins of the Phoenician town of Tharros, Vernaccia di Bosa, Bottarga, mullet roe: the Gold of Cabras
- Visit the bronze age site of Santa Cristina with its unique water temple
- Thermal spa in Fordongianus, visit to the old Roman spa
- Ride across the primordial Gennargentu Mountain Range
- Orgosolo, the painted village, famous for its murals rich with social commentary
- “Canto a tenores”, traditional songs with the most ancient of origins
- Tiscali or Serra Orrios, hiking to the nuragic site
- Fantastic ride to Genna Silana pass
- Day cruise, sailing along the limestone coast: Cala Luna, Cala Goloritze
- Bikes (Bianchi Intenso carbon or equivalent)
- GPS navigation and maps (digital)
- Two professional tour guides throughout the program
- All accommodations in 4 star hotels and one 3-star boutique hotel
- All breakfasts, four lunches, and seven dinners
- Wine and beer with dinner
- Private all-day cruise
- Two wine tastings and a cooking class
- Support vehicle during the tour and luggage transfer
- Shuttle at the beginning and at the end of the tour
- All activities mentioned in the day-by-day description
Note Bike Details: Bianchi Intenso with Shimano 105, 11/32 sprocket, and a 50/34 compact crankset so that you can tackle the steepest of climbs.
Custom mountain gears available upon request (34×36).
Great experience and all aspects were well planned. Small issues were dealt with in a professional manner.
– Bryan F.