Ride the Italian Dolomites
And Conquer the Passo dello Stelvio
Reach New Heights on this Epic Mountain Adventure
Challenge your body and elevate your soul while you explore a rich mixture of cultures and celebrate a sense of accomplishment on this quest through the heart of the Dolomites.
- Custom dates for groups of six or more.
- Duration: 7-days
- Ride Type: Road
- Difficulty: Athletic (3 of 3)
- Price: $4,195+
Experience dramatic mountain beauty and fairytale towns in the Italian Alps. Each day during your ride you’ll be surrounded by stunning Alpine scenery as you make your way through some of the most beautiful towns and villages of this breathtaking area.
Although the focus is very much on the riding, we’ll make sure you get your daily caffeine fix and also have some time to explore places such as Bolzano, Cortina, Corvara and lake Resia.
Ride over exhilarating passes, climb by soaring spires and coast downhill to charming hamlets surrounded by meadows of wildflowers on mountain routes made famous by the world’s greatest cyclists.
We’ll stay at some of the best hotels in the Dolomites. And because we won’t be changing hotels every day you’ll have plenty of time to enjoy the amenities: spas, saunas, pools, and massages.
The Dolomitic riding terrain is one of our most demanding road cycling and the rides are exactly what you might expect from one of Europe’s major mountain ranges: mountain pass after mountain pass.
The route includes numerous serious Giro d’Italia passes, and as such involves a lot of climbing. Two or more significant climbs a day is not uncommon and many will include steep sections.
Road surfaces are generally good although mountain weather can take its toll. Caution should be exercised when descending as downhills are as frequent and long as the ascents and many feature numerous tight bends and switchbacks.
Competent and confident descenders will undoubtedly enjoy the downhill stages whereas less confident riders will be expected to exercise caution. Traffic is generally light throughout however it can become busier on occasional sections especially when nice weather attracts motorcyclists. We planned one easier ride or resting day to arrive with fresh legs for the Stelvio day.
DAY 1 – Cortina – 25 mls – Rolling
DAY 2 – Cortina – Giau – 63 mls – Mountains
DAY 3 – Sellaronda – 35 mls – Mountains
DAY 4 – Corvara – Bolzano – 45 mls – Mountains
DAY 5 – Val Venosta – 45 mls – Mostly flat
DAY 6 – Stelvio – 36 mls – Mountains
DAY 7 – Transfer to Venice airport
- Discover the ancient city of Bolzano, capital of South Tyrol
- Stay 2 nights in Cortina the “Pearl of the Dolomites”
- Daily backdrop of soaring spires, waterfalls, cool forests
- World War I battlefields and history
- Climb over the Tre Cime di Lavaredo, whose towering limestone pinnacles symbolize the Dolomites
- Stunning views of mountains and valleys recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage site
- Ride spectacular, epic passes including The Stelvio
- Gain a true sense of achievement
- The delectable food and wine of South Tyrol
- Bikes (Bianchi Intenso carbon)
- GPS navigation and maps (digital)
- Two professional tour guides throughout the program
- All accommodations in 4 star hotels
- All breakfasts, four lunches, and six dinners
- Wine and beer with dinner
- Walking tour of Bolzano with a local guide
- The “rules of Ampezzo” institute and visit
- Support vehicle during the tour and luggage transfer
- Shuttle at the beginning and at the end of the tour
- All activities mentioned in the day-by-day description
- Tourissimo cycling jersey
Note Bike Details: Bianchi Intenso with Shimano 105, 11/32 sprocket, and a 50/34 compact crankset so that you can tackle the steepest of climbs.
Custom mountain gears available upon request (34×36).
It was another truly great tour – we loved it all!
– Meg Silver – Private group leader