Puglia & Matera
Experience the charm of Puglia and the joys of southern hospitality in this untouched part of Italy on a tour that combines gentle riding options, UNESCO sites, and an incredible gastronomy.
- October 10 – 17
- May 8 – 15
- October 9 – 16
- Duration: 8-days
- Ride Type: Road
- Difficulty: Active (2 of 3)
- Average Daily Mileage: 20-50
- Price: $4,195
Situated between the azure waters of the Adriatic and the lush greenness of Basilicata, Puglia offers a landscape of beguiling views, ancient olive groves and a seeming overabundance of UNESCO sites to visit. Our tour takes in two of these UNESCO sites – Alberobello and Matera. The former is the home to the enchanting conical houses known as trulli whilst the latter is known for its cave dwellings built into the calcareous rock. Both places have to be seen to be believed.
In addition to the UNESCO highlights the charm of Puglia lies with the people themselves whose hospitality is renowned throughout Italy. This is married with a truly unique gastronomy that is rightfully revered. Come and ride the road less travelled in Puglia on a tour that allows all abilities to be entertained. The regular ride will average 40km and with the absence of any great undulations on the route we are confident of accommodating all abilities. The daily extra loops will keep any riders looking for more miles happy too.
Rolling through this farmland rich in Greek and Arab-Norman influences feels like a mystical odyssey through time. Start from Savelletri as fig trees, blooming cacti, and herb gardens fill your path with delightful fragrances. We ride through one of the gems of Puglia: the Valle D’Itria. In Alberobello, the trulli region, spin by clusters of fantastic conical dwellings surrounded by enormous, gnarled olive trees. Spicy handmade orecchiette, bruschetta covered with juicy tomatoes, roasted red peppers and grilled calamari satisfy our palates. Warm hospitality and friendly conversation greet us at every turn.
While many regions of Italy boast of having “the best food,” Puglia could humbly claim this title due to using simple preparations that allow the true flavors of the food to stand out. Slow Food has over 300 chapters here (called Presidi) to protect biodiversity and traditional production.
The program has a spectacular ending in Matera (City of Stones), in the region of Basilicata.
DAY 1 – Transfer from Bari airport; Egnazia – 17 mls – Flat
DAY 2 – Selva di Fasano – Ostuni – 37 mls – Rolling
DAY 3 – Alberobello – 28 mls – Rolling
DAY 4 – Alberobello – Valle d’Itria – 25 mls – Rolling
DAY 5 – San Basilio – 35 mls – Rolling
DAY 6 – Matera – 33 mls – Rolling
DAY 7 – Matera – Bradano river Valley – 14 mls – Rolling
DAY 7 – Transfer to Bari airport.
- Spend the night in the ‘Sassi’ of Matera, classified by UNESCO and known as the ‘Subterranean City’.
- Sample some of Italy’s finest red wines and familiarise yourself with the grape varieties Primitivo, Negroamaro and Bombino Nero.
- Visit the ancient town of Egnazio and view the stunning mosaic of the Three Graces in its archeological museum.
- Watch how they make Mozzarella the traditional way – a tasting is obligatory.
- Learn about the conical trulli on a walking tour of Alberobello – another UNESCO site.
- Ride through ancient olive groves on the road less travelled.
- Taste the wonderful home made pasta dishes and organic fare for which the region is renowned.
- 7 nights of accommodation at handpicked hotels.
- Two experienced guides to provide local knowledge, support, and camaraderie.
- Daily route support with both guides and our support van.
- Daily breakfast, 3 lunches and 6 dinners.
- Daily extra loop options for those wanting extra riding.
- Snacks and drinks for each day’s ride.
- Commemorative Cycling Jersey Made in Italy.
- Water bottles to keep.
- Garmin computers for navigation.
- Detailed daily map sheets.
- All gratuities for drivers, local experts and hospitality staff.
- All luggage transfers and transportation during your trip.
- Entrance fees for all activities, private tours and events.
The tour was fabulous and we haven’t stopped talking about it!