Great Smoky Mountains
Tennessee & North Carolina
Great Smoky Mountains National Park is the most visited park in the USA and it’s no wonder as the views and vistas here are simply stunning.
- May 11 – 16
- September 21 – 26
- September 28 – October 3
- Duration: 6-days
- Ride Type: Road
- Difficulty: Advanced / Expert
- Average Daily Mileage: 42 – 68
- Price from: $2,850
We start the week from Tellico Plains, Tennessee to travel along the Cherohala Skyway riding “on top of the world” to Tapoco, North Carolina.
From here we take on “The Dragon” (aka: Deal’s Gap) with it’s 318 curves in 11 miles. Then it’s onto a portion of the beautiful, but little known and lightly traveled, Foothills Parkway. W
e also visit the remote Cades Cove for a car-free early morning riding experience through history and then in the afternoon to the top of Clingmans Dome to marvel in the 100+ mile views of purple mountains majesty.
On the second half of our tour we ride along a portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway visiting its highest point at 6,053 feet and then end in Asheville, North Carolina.
We will have a layover day in Asheville which will be a great opportunity to explore this charming town, enjoy one of it’s many breweries, visit the Biltmore Estate, or if you want to ride, take on a challenging climb to the top of Mount Mitchell.
Our final day includes a climb over Doggett’s Gap and then ends in the remote town of Hot Springs, North Carolina.
DAY 0 – Arrival in Knoxville; fly into McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS); hotel not included tonight.
DAY 1 – Cherohala Skyway, Tennessee into North Carolina
DAY 2 – Tail of the Dragon & Foothills Parkway
DAY 3 – Cades Cove and Fighting Creek Gap
DAY 4 – Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville
DAY 5 – Layover in Asheville
DAY 6 – Doggett Gap to Hot Springs
- Cycle up and over mountains from Tennessee into North Carolina
- Ride through deep forested backcountry with stunning vistas
- Stay at the Historic Tapoco Lodge
- Ride past the Cheoah Dam where Harrison Ford was filmed in “The Fugitive”
- Cycle the 318 curves of the iconic “Dragon” road
- Take in the incredible vistas for 31 miles of riding above the treeline on the Foothills Parkway
- Little River Gorge via Fighting Creek Gap
- Hundred mile view from Clingmans Dome
- Climb to highest point on the Blue Ridge Parkway
- Explore the artsy town of Asheville and its many breweries
- Summit Mount Mitchell, the highest point east of the Mississippi
- Pisgah National Forest
- 6-days of guide service
- Mechanical support
- Support vehicle
- 5-nights of lodging
- 6-breakfasts, 5-lunches, 5-dinners
- Forest service fees
- Energy food, snacks, and non-alcoholic refreshments