Friuli & Slovenia
Tour Winner of the 2020 Bicycling Travel Awards in the "Best Hidden Europe" Category.
Cycle Italy & Slovenia
Rolling vineyards, lush green forests and snowcapped mountains form the backdrop for much of our riding along smooth uncrowded roads and bike paths. The views are just as spectacular when we are off the bikes enjoying a variety of multi-sport activities, including river rafting, hiking, and much more.
2023 & 2024
- Contact me for departure dates
- Duration: 8 days
- Ride Type: Road
- Level: Recreational
- Average Daily Mileage: 15 – 30
- Price: $4,195+
Crossing the border from Friuli to Slovenia you’ll notice both the continuity and the diversity of this area that has been occupied by various European powers over the years.
There’s a lot of history involved in this cycling and multi-sport tour, with a focus on the years during and between the two World Wars.
Our visit to the WWI Museum in Caporetto-Kobarid is the best way to get to know the history and the geography of these two regions.
Both Friuli and Slovenia are big wine producers, especially of white wines, and it’s interesting to taste the same grape varietal cultivated in different soils and climates.
Friuli’s wine regions of Collio and Colli Orientali del Friuli will be the backdrop of our cycling ride towards Slovenia, and in Slovenia, we pass through the wine areas of Goriska Brda, Kras and Vipavska Dolina.
You could witness the beginning of the grape harvest and the start of the wine-making process, with the help of some local wine producers.
DAY 1 – Grado – Aquileia Warm Up
DAY 2 – Collio Hills
DAY 3 – Cividale Loop
DAY 4 – Bovec
DAY 5 – Bovec
DAY 6 – Fusine Lake to Bled
DAY 7 – Ljubljana – Rest Day
DAY 8 – Ljubljana, Departure Day
- 2 countries: from Italy to Slovenia with the Alps as the backdrop
- Scenic, quiet roads without traffic
- Outdoor activities: cycling, river rafting, hiking & more
- Wine tasting at a Friulian producer
- Enchanted Radovna Valley and Vintgar Gorge in Slovenia
- Ljubljana and Cividale del Friuli (UNESCO World Heritage Sites)
- Visit of WWI museum with English speaking guide
- Grado’s golden beaches
- Aquileia, an ancient Roman powerhouse
- All accommodations
- Meals: All breakfasts, three lunches, and six dinners
- Two experienced guides to provide local knowledge, support, & camaraderie
- Tastings of wine & local specialties
- Snacks & drinks for each day’s ride
- Logistical support during the tour
- Luggage transfer
- Commemorative cycling jersey
- Shuttle at the beginning & at the end of the tour
The Friuli and Slovenia tour was a delight. We recommend this trip to cyclers of all ages.
– Ellen S & Devereaux B