Chef Bike Tour
Cycling, Cooking, Tasting the Gastronomical Capital of Italy.
A trip to the apex of Italian 'home food' in Emilia Romagna. From seaside resorts to the splendid Apennines, we ride to taste, and we taste to understand.
2023 & 2024:
- Contact me for departure dates
- Duration: 7-days
- Ride Type: Road
- Difficulty: Active (2 of 3)
- Average Daily Mileage: 20-50
- Price: $4,595+
We believe that you cannot understand the gastronomy of a region without first considering the region’s history, culture, landscape, and climate. For the Emilia Romagna Chef Bike Tour, we want to go even further.
We aim to showcase how food is linked to the well being of an area in terms of health, and socio-economically.
Located between the fertile Po River Valley and the Apennines, Emilia-Romagna is renowned for its soul-satisfying food. To Italians it is known as the “home-cooking capital of Italy.” To others, it is known as the birthplace many of the foods that lie at the heart of Italian cooking- lasagna, tortellini, prosciutto di Parma, balsamic vinegar, and “The King of Cheeses,” Parmigiano-Reggiano, to name a few. The Romagna DOC wines are the perfect pairing to the regional dishes.
The locals are revered for having a great balance of respect for tradition, cheerful attitude, and bursting entrepreneurship. In Emilia Romagna tradition merges with innovation and the past (in many practical ways) becomes the foundation for the future. And in all of this, food is an important part. Some would say the corner stone.
The riding is a superb mix of landscapes and views. From the flat plane of the Po river delta and the Comacchio Valley (WWF protected area) we ride to the hills and from the Apennines to the Adriatic. The rides are fully supported and participants can ride just part of the stage. The gran finale is in Rimini on the Adriatic riviera. Companions that are non-riders are also welcome.
DAY 1 – Ferrara – 8 miles – Flat
DAY 2 – Ravenna – 60 miles – Flat
DAY 3 – Fratta Terme – 38 miles – Flat
DAY 4 – Fratta Terme, Bertinoro – 23 miles – Hilly
DAY 5 – Bagno di Romagna – 33 miles – Mountains
DAY 6 – Rimini – 54 or 30 miles – Mountains
DAY 7 – Transfer will be arranged.
* Request the full itinerary via the contact form below.
- Ferrara city of Renaissance
- Destra Po and Po river delta
- “Food and Wine trail” hills of Forli and Cesena
- Pellegrino Artusi Restaurant-Museum with cooking class
- Gold sandy beaches of Rimini
- Thermal waters of Fratta Terme and Bagno di Romagna
- Meetings with producers
- Comacchio lagoon
- Two UNESCO sites
- Variety of landscapes and riding terrain
- Superb meals and the “best Homestyle food” in Italy
- Two or more professional tour guides throughout the program
- Accommodations including one night at 5 star Grand Hotel Rimini
- All breakfasts, all lunches, and all dinners
- Wine and beer with meals
- Tastings of wine and local specialties
- Cooking class at “Casa Artusi”
- Entrance to thermal spas
- Logistical support during the tour and luggage transfer
- Shuttle at the beginning and at the end of the tour
- Commemorative cycling jersey and chef apron
- All activities mentioned in the day-by-day description
This tour was a great way for me to be introduced to cycling, while also challenging myself. I loved the integration of food/cycling for this tour as it allowed me to be more immersed in the culture and more immersed in the views. I saw the country in a different lens (due to the cycling aspect) and I will certainly do this again.
You guys did an amazing job planning. I felt like I didn’t have to lift a finger with my luggage, my bikes, etc… The food was INCREDIBLE. I am so happy to have eaten at so many awesome places that I would not have been able to find on my own.
– Emily L